Olympus 35RC


I've had quite a few e-mails since my post on the Hasselblad 503cx about using film and film cameras, specifically asking what's a good entry to the world of film. There are a lot of options, film cameras can be picked up pretty cheaply and if you already have an investment in Canon EOS lenses you can use your lenses with an EOS film camera, the same is also true with Nikon. However, there are many other options, one of which being the world of rangefinders.
   Of course, you can go straight to the Leica end of the scale, and if you've got a few thousand to spare, you won't beat a Leica M6 and Summilix 35mm f1.4 but if your budget doesn't reach those heights, don't fret, you can still get into the rangefinder world for considerably less.

          The Olympus 35RC is a great start. You can find them very cheaply on ebay, although a word of warning, I've seen them listed and sold for £100+ on ebay, while a great camera, that's a ridiculous price, you shouldn't pay more than £50 at most for a fully operational 35RC. 
     The Olympus 35RC has a 42mm f2.8 lens, which is a great performer, it has a very accurate light meter and is small, seriously, it's the smallest camera I own. 



The Olympus 35RC has a reasonably bright viewfinder, the rangefinder patch on the copy I got was a little weak and hard to see in some light, that is easily sorted by putting a tiny piece of black tape on the centre of the front of the viewfinder.





There's a lot to like about this little camera, it can easily slip in a coat pocket and it has some great features, you can see the aperture and shutter speed through the viewfinder, has a reliable shutter priority automatic exposure and manual override, making this a reliable point and shoot with good creative control. Ok, point, focus and shoot!



Unfortunately, my little 35RC took a dive onto some concrete and is in need of some repairs which I haven't got round to organising.
     Anyway here are a few more pictures I got before it died.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review, I'm watching three of these on ebay

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, sorry for the late reply but I just saw this. I hope you got one, let me know how you are getting on with it,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete